[IP] Convincing a Peds Endo

For parents of kids who want pumps, here's a synopsis of how we went about convincing our endo that Stephanie should be placed on a pump.
Summer 1997 - Stephanie decided that she wanted a pump and began asking us to get her one. Her Dad and I were not familiar with the technology and agreed to look into it and talk to her endo. In Sept. we asked her endo who firmly said no. I then asked her CDE who also said no way, she's too young (she's 8.5 now). All fall we kept getting "no's", but none were based on medical reasons. I got serious about looking for info about kids and pumps. I talked to several adult friends here in Colorado who are pumpers and know Stephanie. Both of them felt that Steph would be a good candidate in terms of maturity, responsibility, etc. I searched the web for info on kids and pumpers, and found this site, which has been extremely helpful. In preparation for our Feb. 98 endo appointment, I corresponded with other parents who had kids on pumps, and collected their stories as well as many anecdotes shared by pumpers in this forum. I contacted both Mini-Med and Disetronic and got their info packets and information relating to the benefits of pump therapy. I looked into potential drawbacks and safety hazards of pump therapy, and was prepared to discuss my strategies for dealing with problems if they arose. I talked to Steph's classroom teacher and asked for her support, and got a letter from her attesting to Steph's ability to understand technology and level of maturity. By the time of our appointment, I felt I had a good understanding of what would be required of Steph to go on a pump, and I was armed with a 1" thick file of documentation to share with our endo. I also spent a lot of time praying!
Feb. 1998 Steph goes into her appointment and immediately asks the endo when (not if) she can get a pump! He begins to tell her all the reasons why not (too complicated, too much trouble, too expensive, etc.) and she shoots back "but those aren't medical reasons why it wouldn't be good for me!" I chimed in why I thought it would be a good idea, and how I proposed to make it work, and after about 30 minutes he agreed to let her give it a try (he said she could always go back to shots!). Heck, she's just pumping saline till next week, and I don't think she could be convinced to give it up for anything!
Good luck to parents whose kids want pumps. I think we actually had a pretty easy time convincing our endo, considering some stories I've heard. We've been blessed with an insurance company that has agreed to paid for 100% of the pump, and related training costs, as well as Steph's supplies. It's not all done and paid for yet, but if what they are telling me pans out, this will actually be cheaper for my wallet than injections!