[IP] A Life in Art

John and Scott:

I have to agree with John:  My number one reason for going on the pump was the
flexability it offered me as a performing artist.  We don't have the same
schedules as most people (in fact - you'd think doctors could understand our
dilemma better since they also have such odd hours)

If I am doing a show, my evenings are long, rehearsals are unpredictable.  If
I am the director, I like to snack during rehearsal and love that graze
feature of the 507, (used a temp basal rate when on the 506).  Dinner is at
11pm or later.  Breakfast?  Usually something eaten at 5 am after a long night
following a show, then out to a pub or some dancing.  Lunch usually comes, if
at all, around 4-430.

Working on the administrative side of theatre can be even worse.  When I first
went on the pump I was working in a production company for cruise ship
entertainment and was LUCKY if I took my lunch by 4:00 - it was crazy all the
time - didn't get home before 8 on most days.  Being on MI had helped  but it
was sort of a viscious circle.  If I took NPH in the am, then was unable to
eat until 4:00 I would have a reaction by 1:00.  If I didn't take the NPH, I'd
go high before the next meal!  The pump changed that DRAMATICALLY (pun
intended).  My boss loved it too - I could work all day without lunch and she
knew I wouldn't end up passed out from blood sugar problems (stressed out
heart attack MAYBE but not high or low blood sugar)

Performing is a REAL Adrenalin rush. I put myself on a higher basal rate
during performance and check often.  I learned this the hard way.  My first
on-pump production was doing the Scottish play.  About 5 minutes from the end
of Act I, my bs was 500!!!  I thought "no way" cuz I felt fine and pre show I
had been like180 which I felt was OK since I was gonna be expending all that
energy on stage!  So I checked again, then I checked the pump and site...and
found the needle had been pulled all the way out under the polyskin - there
was a little bubble of insulin. I told the director I'd be right
back...fortunately I wasn't needed right at the start of ACT II - I raced
home, changed set and site and ran back.  By the end of act II I was down to
300 and by the close of the show, I was back down under 200.

 There's a lot of travelling involved and
>  unpredictable rehearsal schedules. Trying to find something decent to
>  eat in the hour between rehearsal and performance, in an unknown city,
>  can be hard.

SO true!!!!!

The performing arts are a real challenge for people with diabetes...makes ya
wonder why the docts don't "prescribe" that we change careers (HA - good
luck), but hten maybe insurance would pay for me to go back to school to learn
a "real" trade?!?!?!?