Re: [IP] Judy the Globetrotter :

On 16 Mar 98 at 1:35, JUDY102 wrote:

> I really thought people would want to know how to travel while on the pump.
> Stupid me.  Going through time changes is an interesting experience.  Being
> well supplied and knowledgeable on how to have health needs met is also, I
> thought handy.

My biggest problem in travelling is carrying all my pump supplies,
drugs, etc with me as checked luggage.  For a long trip it tends to
spill out of the "single small bag" that the airlines are beginning
to limit you to.  Since I also have to carry a laptop computer with
me for business travel it's easy to get yelled at by the airline
people.  I've had stuff turn up "missing" from checked luggage before
and am still trying to figure out how to carry this stuff through...

How do you manage to carry enough for a 7 to 10 day trip - that's 5
infusion sets (3 changes plus spares), a couple of vials of insulin,
skin preps, Tegaderms, skin barrier gel, spare batteries, pump manual
and the "Pumping Insulin" reference book in case something comes up.

I flew to Houston a couple of weeks ago and there was a big sign at
the gate that said "This flight is limited to a single small carry on
bag."   From the way the attendents were acting my  computer backpack
alone was way too big...
> My patients seem to like me and appreciate me because I am not perfect.  I
> admit it. I'm not overweight and I don't smoke, but this is America, By God,
> and if I wanted to, I would and I sure wouldn't let someone change my behavior
> because they truly believe anyone in medicine better not have any vices.
> Yes, I am thin skinned.  But better education is really needed in this group.
> I can clearly see why people unsubscribe.  May the strongest and most bigoted
> of you win. I don't plan to try to bring anyone over to my side.  I needed
> support, not judgemental people who are careless with their comments.

Real behavior change cannot be imposed from the outside.  The problem
that many people have is their experience of both medical and
non-medical people giving commands and expecting immediate compliance
and then screaming at you when their commands don't work or don't
give exactly the desired result.  Sort of like the line from the old
song that goes "you can't even run your own life..."  -  I know
doctors who drink, smoke, overeat and in general don't follow the
advice they give their patients.  One of them is under treatment for
lung cancer right now - and from what I've heard he is much more
understanding of his patients now.   One of the local doctors who
is a great advocate of insulin pumps is extremely overweight - and he
always tells his patients "do as I say and not as I do."  He's honest
about his shortcomings and goes on, and even accepts kidding from his
patients with good humor.   Contrast that with the "2 pack a day"
nurse who tells his patients in the ICU that "smoking is what put you
here" while coughing and smelling like a stale cigarette, and then
when one of the patients questions him on it gets angry and takes it
out on the patient.

Most of the complaints about medical professionals I've read here
have been pretty mild, but then my wife is a nurse and we're around
people in the medical community a lot.

I've been working with people for a long time and I still haven't
found a good working definition of a "support group" - mainly because
each of us has a different idea of what a group should provide.  Some
want medical advice, some want education, some want a sympathetic
ear, while others want a place to vent their frustrations and other
emotions.   Since I've been on this group I've been flamed (singed is
probably a better word)  for negative  comments about "THE SCHEDULE"
that I used to have to order the world around on MDI, I've been
complimented for observations about life with the pump, and I've
laughed over some of the stuff I've read here.  I've also found a
group that in general understands my questions, comments, fears,
hopes and overall experience of living with the pump...

The best tool I've found for living with the pump is a good sense of
humor, and to try not to take myself too seriously.   I'm glad I
found this group...  reading this bunch of mail is much more fun than
on some of the tighter moderated lists I'm on.  The only way we can
learn is from people who aren't exactly like us - and there is such a
wonderful variety of people in this group that it's easy to learn...

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.