Bob's Rant, was: Re: [IP] the pump is NOT scary

Sara and others on this thread:

I wonder if one of the reason certain health care professionals are
resistant to pumping (young or old) is that pump therapy effectively
empowers the individual with a *WHOLE LOT OF CONTROL* - in effect,
transferring this control out of the hands of the traditional providers
(i.e., health care professionals). I think others have mentioned this
before me.

Pump therapy gives the patient the ability, in fact demands, that they pay
attention to things, ask questions, question the assumptions and
"conventional wisdom" of prior generations of care givers and sometimes
forces the user to take a hard left turn when everyone else is screaming
Right Turn!!

>It is NOT difficult to teach unless the teacher hasn't been properly trained,
>which is unfortunately the case many times.   A doctor's JOB is to help
>his/her patient feel/get/stay healthy and if he/she is too ignorant, or busy
>to take the time to find out the best way to do that, then he is getting an
>"F" in effort.  The trickle down effect makes this also applicable to his
>staff and the clinic/facility s/he works in.

Although I can't recall the exact wording of the Hippocratic oath (I'm
going to be embarrassed if I've misspelled this), when I've read the oath,
I don't recall there being any language in there which states that
providing care will be "easy" and "free of challenge". Nor do I recall
seeing anything in there which states that only a single therapy can be
used for an entire population requiring assistance. Nor do I recall seeing
anything in there which states that the patient's ideas and desires should
be rejected "out of hand", without prior full, shared discussion of all

>Why can't they be taught?  They have to memorize bones and muscles, and a
>billion other things - why not watch a 15 minute video, get some hands on
>experience - OK 30 minutes invested, and you are done.  Next time a patient
>comes in with one, the doc/nurse doesn't have to be "scared" or have a
>coniption fit!!  I haven't told y'all about the nurses at Northwestern during
>my recent surgery - another post...

During my past two visits to my doc's office, he has had medical students
with him. You can bet he took the opportunity to do some "basic" explaining
of pump therapy and then sat back while I told my story. I'm not bragging,
but I bet that student learned a whole bunch of things about diabetic
health care which he / she didn't know 15 minutes before they met me ;-)

If pumping is indeed, still considered as an "alternate therapy" in the
treatment of Diabetes, then dammit, the schools should be mandated to have
an entire course in "Alternative Treatment Therapies", a large part of that
course covering insulin pumps, with mandatory refresher courses. Take the
refresher courses or else paint houses for a living (nothing negative
implied about painters here - it's just the first thing I thought of).

>THERE ARE SOME ADULTS, non diabetic, that I know who could also handle this,
>but they are far outweighed by those healthy (or so they think) weenies of
>world who think it is "too much to handle," and they say "ewwww!  I could
>never do that"  These people just have a mental block and unfortunately lots
>of the medical pros have that mental block...NOTHING PERSONAL, and all that
>other disclaimer stuff.

It's kind of ironic perhaps, but one of the reasons I started pumping was
that I did *not* want to go the MI route. This still strikes me as
complicated. I'm absolutely amazed that docs will put kids on MI regimens,
yet stall, stammer and hesitate when they are asked to approve pump
therapy. Some health care providers will trust young children to test their
BG, draw up the appropriate amount of insulin in a syringe, administer it
properly, yet they don't think these same folks are "responsible enough" to
manage a pump? Wow!!!!

>To paraphrase a bit of what Mary Jean said, Me and my hackles also despise
>blanket statements re: pump therapy (and - "oh you are diabetic...you can't
>eat Oreos").   Each case of pump use (and Oreo consumption) should be decided
>on an individual basis.  Kids (AND ADULTS) who are quite capable should
NOT be
>excluded just because some doctor, nurse, or dietician who SPECIALIZES in
>diabetes care, is too LAZY to take the time to learn about pumping (or the
>joys of carb counting).  Note, that I (Sara) am NOT referring to you (Judy,
>Barbara and other nurse/med person) personally.  But these "health care
>professionals" at major diabetes care centers ought to know better.  YEAH!!!!
>If they are going to specialize in diabetes, they (DAMN) sure BETTER get over
>any "FEAR"

Every diabetic deserves the full right to be considered as a unique
individual, not simply as an insurance reporting code, with full rights to
the entire range of health care alternatives. This is what drove a lot of
the Patient Rights type of movements. Sounds like it's time for a "Diabetic
Bill of Rights".

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted