Re: [IP] Kids on pumps!

> Thank you Barbara.  This is my point exactly.  The kids can spin circles
> around most of us adults.  Kids are not intimidated by technology like
> adults.  They have no fear of breaking a very expensive computer/pump/vcr
> or whatever.  As adults we are more apt to look at what something will
> cost us to fix, if we mess it up, than we are to think that we are
> smarter than said "machine."  We just need to give the kids a chance that
> want to do all they can to control the monster that has taken over their
> lives.

I think a lot of folks miss the point on the so-called difficulty
with pumping.  Running a pump is very simple minded. What is
difficult is learning to carbo count, boluses for highs, compensating
for lows, and constantly adjusting insulin doses to match food,
activity, etc.... NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH PUMPING.

The standard for diabetes care TODAY should always include these
things. A diabetic on tight control and MDI would do all these
things. My daughter has when she has been without her pump and it
worked very well.  Adding a pump to this equation simply makes doing
it easier.  Am I missing something here??  Clearly some doctors and
medical centers are missing something.

Michael