[IP] Fearful at Joslin!

     On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 21:50:31 EST JUDY102 <email @ redacted> wrote:
     > I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'll forge ahead anyway.
     > I'm now talking to all of you as a professional nurse.  THE PUMP IS
     > SCARY!  The reason is, at first, it seems so difficult to teach.  If
     > you don't need it, or do it everday,i.e. the docs, then it is a
     > scary prospect.  I know all of you think they should know better,
     > but the reality is,they don't.  My experience, even with the DCCT
     > (who pioneered in mass use of the pumps), really didn't think
     > the pump was for me.  I have too many lows, too quickly.
     Oh boy.  Here comes the 'anceint pumper' in me.
     Early pumps (that I started on, so I'm talking from experience):
     The original pumps had ONE feed rate.  This was NOT a settable basal
     rate but a single 'trigger/hour' of 1/1000 of a cc fed by pump.  The
     pumps basal rate was set by diluting the insulin with 'special water'
     (which was manufactured by the insulin manufacturers to the exact PH
     and standards and what not because it turns out the diluting with
     straight saline MESSES UP the insulin big time).
     Once the correct dilution factor was figured, then the number of
     'pulses'/unit needed to be calculated and remembered so that meals
     boluses coould be given.
       1] We could only use one basal rate
       2] 'Programming' the pump was not possible: we 'programmed' the
          insulin to work correctly
       3] Meters at that time were larger, more expensive and less accurate
       4] Doctors had far LESS experience and we were ALL regarded as
          'wierd' by dentists, other doctors, etc since the pump was really
          new then.
       5] Hiding the pump was not really considered, since it was about
          5+" * 3+" * 1.5+"!!
       6] Tubing ended in stainless steal needles which were dulled for
          most painful possible entry.
       7] I was by far youngest in my group and I waa 20.5 when I started!!
     Looking at what we faced then and what a new pumper faces now it is a
     little hard for me to come to terms with deep problems new pumpers are
     having.  I suppose the biggest hurdle is connecting a box to oneself
     24 hours a day (and having a full time reminder of diabetes) AND
     having to remember to feed the beast regularly.
     If anyone needs some private 'Go To IT SOLDIER!' or 'Why I should
     pump" talking to, please write me offline unless one thinks it really
     do belongs here.