Re: [IP] Re: Fearful at Joslin!

<< I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'll forge ahead anyway.  I'm
 talking to all of you as a professional nurse.  THE PUMP IS SCARY!  The
 is, at first, it seems so difficult to teach.  If you don't need it, or do it
 everday,i.e. the docs, then it is a scary prospect.  I know all of you think
 they should know better, but the reality is,they don't.  My experience, even
 with the DCCT (who pioneered in mass use of the pumps), really didn't think
 the pump was for me.  I have too many lows, too quickly. They're the first
 ones to be happy for me that they were wrong.  Nevertheless, I didn't find
 pump user-friendly at first.  I really didn't.  I had my days of doubts and
 frustrations, and I am trained.  Once learned, it all seems so easy, doesn't
 it?  We have to be careful on how we advise new pumpers.  If we sound like it
 is the greatest, easiest thing in the world to do, or to teach to our child,
 then they can quickly fault themselves and become discouraged on the more
 difficult days.  That's why I have all of you guys, now.  That is exactly
 I needed the support.
 Judy P.  RN, BSN >>

You are right about the pump being a scary decision. It took us
months(literally) of research and speaking with the parents of children on
pumps before we made the decision we made for our son. It truly saddened us
when the endo who we've been working with for 3 years couldn't understand or
respect our family's decision.

We fully understand what we're doing and have asked EVERYONE's opinion...From
our own endo 6 months ago, to our school nurse to both adults on pumps, along
with parents of children pumping. We've talked this over with family members,
(our other children and the adults who help us out with them, we felt, needed
to give us their feedback) along with our current CDE. Not everyone had
positive feedback, but the people who know us best, when asked for an honest
opinion felt we were more than capable of handling this.

As a fellow member of the medical prefession, I wouldn't consider myself to be
responsible if I did not  update on my area of expertise. Technology and
medical advances change so quickly that it is truly necessary that anyone who
calls themselves a medical professional should update themselves. It is also
unethical and against a patients rights to force or refuse a treatment option.

My original ped misdiagnosed Chris' D and his only excuse was that he had not
learned a certain procedure in Medical school(he'd been our ped at this point
for 9 years). He also refused to listen to my requests for further testing at
the time. Needless to say..we changed peds. Our current ped respects what I
and my children have to say and isn't afraid to say "I don't know, but let"s
me find out" .... and then he does follow through...I think more Docs need to
follow this advice. Fear of the unknown is acceptable...A doctor's fear to
learn something new to help their patints is intolerable.