Re: [IP] Re: Fearful at Joslin!

> THE PUMP IS SCARY!  The reason
>  is, at first, it seems so difficult to teach.  If you don't need it, or do
> it
>  everday,i.e. the docs, then it is a scary prospect.  I know all of you
>  they should know better, but the reality is,they don't.

Yes, it can be a lot to learn at one time.  BUT this is no excuse for medical
centers making blanket policies regarding pump use.  Especially where kids are
concerned.  I personally know of several kids, who, if they were diabetic,
would have NO trouble whatsoever learning to use a pump, including counting
carbs, and using temporary basal rates and square waves.  I also know of
others that wouldn't be able to handle the pump in the way that I handle the
pump.  They would need help figuring out their bolus amount and might need a
bit more adult direction. This doesn't mean that the pump should not be an
option for them.  If they have parents who are willing to help them figure
this out, it shouldn't be a problem.

I get my hackles up when blanket statements are made regarding pump therapy.
Each case should be decided on an individual basis.  Kids who are quite
capable should NOT be excluded just because some doctor, nurse, or dietician
who SPECIALIZES in diabetes care, is too LAZY to take the time to learn about
pumping.  Note, that I am NOT referring to you personally.  But these "health
care professionals" at major diabetes care centers ought to know better.  It
is, afterall, their stated business.  If they are going to specialize in
diabetes, they sure ought to take the time to learn what they are talking
about, not be put off because it is a little SCARY!

Mary Jean