Boy, I'm glad someone else said that for me.  Once in a while I have
desert, like any other normal human being.  If it follows dinner, I can
just adjust my insulin dosage and take care of it without a problem.
The food tends to slow the absorption of sugars anyway.  When I was a
kid "well meaning" adults would find out I was diabetic and have fruit
juice for me "so I didn't feel left out."  Most fruit juices (especially
apple and grape) would do more harm to my control than a piece of cake
or chocolate would.