Re: [IP] Any last minute advice before I get my pump?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete d'Artois <pd'email @ redacted>
To: Insulin-Pumpers <email @ redacted>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 1998 9:23 PM
Subject: [IP] Any last minute advice before I get my pump?

 Now, does anyone have any advice about insulin?  I am
>currently take R on a sliding scale at meal times (about 20 units a day)
>and 17 N at bedtime.  I have asked my endo about switching to Humalog
>but after reading everything you have said, I am having serious second
>thoughts about switching; any advice?  What about infusion sets?
>Originally I planned on using the Sof-set QR but then I heard about the
>Silhouette sets?  Which have you found to be better?  I need to get
>feedback on infusion sets especially since I live in the boonies (over
>2000 miles from my endo and my Minimed supplier).  Also as far as I know
>I will be one of 2 people in the entire Yukon using a pump.  Would you
>please let me know as I hit the road in 60 hours or so.  Thanks.
>I went from 3 to 4 shots a day with R straight to a pump with Humalog and
no problems.  However my body is quite aggreeable to any procedure they've
done so far.  Lucky me.

No advice just my experience.  One thing I like about Humalog it works
almost immediately; no 30 minutes headstart needed.  So I can bolus and eat
or eat and bolus if necessary and still have better results than before.

Would you ever be in town for several days were you could try humalog in a
setup?  Can you get supplies dropped in or will you be carrying a years

I suspect the muscular male crowd can give you better advice on infusion
sets.  I use the disatonic tenders.  You could try requesting samples to try
and picking them up when you can.