Re: [IP] Pump users giving up

John Neale wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what proportion of pump users give up within 2 years?
> Are these figures well documented? I heard a doctor claim that 89% of
> diabetics give up using their pump within 2 years. That figure cannot be
> true. Anyone know where he got it from and what the current true figure
> is? I'd like to squash this one properly!
>
> Thanks
> John

Well, I'll tell you. I first started on a pump in Jan 1976, whcih I
purchased out of pocket, along with some Xmas money from my family. I
was TAKEN OFF the pump in October, when my BG's soared to 900+, even
after changing the batteries, tubing, etc. Since I bought the unit
second-hand, I was not able to get much help from the manufacturer.

This past January, in response to new FL state law, as well as switching
to a new Primary Physician (who's Dad is a diabetic)
my HMO FINALLY authorized a new pump.

They'll have to pry this one off me, because I will NOT give it up.