Re: [IP] Re: Sally needs HELP.

Buddy (and Sally):

Here's my 2 cents' worth, even though the question has already been
answered in other ways:

In general, when eating Chinese food, I try to steer away from anything
with sauce, since there is generally a fair amount of sugar in the sauces.
Good for me are "steamed" type items, veggies seem to be the best. I can't
tell you anything about arrowroot, other than I have heard it is a factor
to be reckoned with.

A good general rule of thumb that I use for rice: If the rice tends to
stick together a lot (like most of the rice in Chinese restaurants) it has
a high "Glycemic Index". Foods with a high Glycemic Index (abbreviated as
GI) raise your BG quickly. The higher the GI, the closer the food is to
actual glucose in terms of impacting your BG. I closely watch the amount of
rice I eat.

Converted Rice, like Uncle Ben's has a lower GI, raising your BG more
slowly. (at least this is how it works for me). When doing stir fry or
Chinese type dishes at home, we try to use converted rice when possible.

Rice affects me in a funky way - it seems like it has two peaks. I notice
one fairly soon after eating - 1 to 2 hours after the meal. The other peak
seems to happen many hours later, often well into the sleeping hours or the
next morning. I notice a similar effect with pasta. I try to anticipate
this and be ready to dose with a supplemental bolus if necessary, but I
don't plan ahead by "squaring" my bolus over several hours.

Thai food is even trickier for me, since a lot of it seems to use sweetened
coconut milk as an ingredient in many of the dishes. Again, I try to avoid
sauced dishes (difficult to do when you go to a Thai restaurant). I try to
monitor my intake of the high GI "sticky" rice.

Sally commented that she got a major high BG around 3:30 a.m. This may have
been due to a larger amount of protein than usual (Jumbo shrimp), the rice,
or a combination of both. Kind of like a double whammy ;-)

I don't have any other tricks for dealing with these foods. I don't eat
them often. When I do imbibe, if they "hammer" my BGs, I just rationalize
it all by reminding myself how good I've been in general. A wayward BG (or
several) isn't the end of the world for me.

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted

<snip>
Bob Burnett