To: email @ redacted
From: email @ redacted on Mon, Mar 9, 1998 10:01 AM
Subject: [IP] Hooked up for 1 week
RFC Header:Received: by omnibus.ce.psu.edu with SMTP;9 Mar 1998 09:59:40 -0500
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 09:56:42 -0800
From: Vicki McDonald <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sender: email @ redacted

Last Monday, I started my training for the pump and have been pumping
for a whole week now.  My insulin requirements have dropped by 50% and
I've lost 9 pounds (just to show you that multiple injections are not
the answer -- I was always shooting more insulin, bg's dropping, and
eating more to try to keep level).  I spent the week with my
diabetologist, Dr. Edward Etkind, my diabetes educator, Emily
Keane-Layman, and my pump partner, Jim Veilette.  Aside from sore
fingers from hourly bg tests, I feel so much better.  Emily and Dr.
Etkind have prepared my for almost every possibility, and while I still
have daily contact with them, I feel I can see where adjustments need to
be made at the same time they do.  It's given me a new sense of control
and freedom.  It was intense, exhausting training, but worth every
second of it.  Now why didn't I do this sooner?
Vicki McDonald
New Haven, CT