Re: [IP] DOC'S APPROVAL FOR PUMP THERAPY

When I moved to Lewistown, Montana in 1995 I went to see a doctor in Great
Falls (100 miles away) because I was interested in the pump.  When I asked
him about it, he didn't seem to want to work with me.  After the visit, I
heard from his office once, asking about my blood glucose readings.  I
didn't go back to see him mainly because he didn't indicate when he wanted
to see me again and I tend to put things off.

Later I attended a diabetes education course that was offered at our
hospital.  The CDE talked about the pump and she recommended a doctor in
Billings (130 miles away).  I made an appointment with him right away (took
about 2 months to get in) and at that first appointment he changed my
insulin to Humalog because that is what he has his patients use in the pump.
He wanted to see what my blood glucose readings were for a few months before
deciding on the pump since he had no idea of my control, etc.  His office
called regularly or had me call in my blood glucose levels.  In a couple of
months, he told me that I had good control and that my control with the pump
would probably not be much better.  I was still considering the pump and
this past September I mentioned to him that I was having trouble adjusting
my insulin to my exercise and having a lot of low readings.  He said that
with the pump adjusting the insulin for exercise was much easier and I told
him I wanted to try it.

Last year when I first saw him about the pump I got information from both
pump companies and bought any books on the subject and cruise the Internet
looking for any information.  I definitely knew what I was getting into and
don't regret it at all.

Adrienne