Re: [IP] Disetronic vs Minimed

Dan:

I agree with your assessment. The "holes" are in the end of the chamber
which houses the insulin cartridge. These holes are there since the chamber
is pretty airtight - in cases where pressure differences occur, such as air
travel, this allows equalization of the pressure within this chamber.

Water can safely enter this chamber without impacting the operation of the
pump. The "tappet" which is supposed to be inserted on the end of the pump
for use in water simply "plugs" those small holes (about the size of thin
pencil lead) to prevent the entry of water.

I know someone who routinely white water rafted using this pump *without*
the tappet inserted and had no problems at all. (I also know folks who have
used the "Sport Guard" and discovered it to be very *not waterproof*.
Obviously, your mileage will vary).

This design "feature" is frequently picked on by the marketing folks at the
other pump company. Best bet is to actually talk to end users who have the
D pump to see what the implications are, what the differences are, how they
feel about the durability and engineering, etc. Even better, try talking to
folks who have lived with both pumps.

Bob

>Correction....Disetronics pump needs a little cap to plug two tiny vent
>holes.... I have fallen in the water without this cap and had no problem with
>the pump....

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted