Re: [IP] Sliding Scale Insulin Dose

I've been traveling a lot lately, so I wasn't able to get to my "Pumpers"
mail.  This particular letter intrigued me for several reasons.  I've been on
the pump for 1 & 1/2 yrs now (not exactly an expert), but I have been a
Registered Nurse for 20 years.  There is one thing I am absolutely clear
on,,,,,,You need to take your child to an endocrinologist.  Preferably a
pediatric one.  If your insurance doesn't cover it because your doctor refuses
to refer you to another doctor, call your states licensing of insurance
number.  Your child's hemoglobin A1C's will indicate to both you and your
doctor how well the present regimen is working.  Two shots a day may be
adequate or maybe three would be better.  The goal is to keep blood sugars as
near normal as possible.  This is very difficult.  It is safer to be a little
high (by that I mean at around 150, than 50).  It is easier to treat
hyperglycemia than it is to treat hypoglycemia.  You really need a second
opinion.  I can't stress that enough!!!
Judy