Re: [IP] Re: Parental support (was Relationships...)

>In a message dated 98-03-06 18:07:18 EST, Becky Draper writes:
>
>>The same guidance counselor was also shocked the day I walked into his office
>to pickup an application for college.  "How can you go to college if you have
>diabetes?"  I graduated from college with a B.S. in Education....

I was planning on, had always planned on and still think about, becoming a
doctor.  I was always told that people with diabetes could not survive
internship.  The weird thing is that the only person at that time who
supported me was my GP (moved after a year!).  He lobbied me everytime I
saw him.

Unfortunately, I did listen to the naysayers.  I also did not go into
Social Work ("too much stress for a person with diabetes").  Luckily I hung
around in university long enough to get some self-confidence and became a
crisis counsellor.  I have a BA, started an MA and go back this fall.  My
average was 97% in my last year.  I will always regret not going in to
medicine, even more now that I see how much doctors with diabetes could
influence other people with diabetes.

To the parents I see here, I say "Great Work and keep it up!!"  I am so
impressed with the attitude within this group, because I still hear what I
was told coming from many people who talk about diabetes.

Janine
type 1, 18 years
pump, 13 years

PS  I once walked into my guidance counsellor office and told her I was
very depressed and wasn't taking insulin so I could lose weight.  She said
people with diabetes were pains in the rear ends and we should all just
shut up and stop being so self-involved.  So I shut up. Had my only DKA
soon after that and spent a week in intensive care.  And people wonder why
I never believe anything I hear anymore!

Vancouver, BC, Canada