Re: Relationships and Diabetes (was Re: [IP] new 'set sites')

MADKT wrote:

> When I was diagnosed, my neighbor wouldn't let me swim in her pool anymore
> because "her father was diabetic and she knew". I always wondered what it was
> "she knew". :)

She knew that she was ignorant.  Probably scared that you would spread
all those
nasty diabetic germs all over.

> The kids at school were told by their folks, "See, that's what happens when
> you eat too much sugar."

I was asked by kids in school when I got diagnosed.  "Is this catchy?"
I was also asked by some of my classmates years after graduating if I
still had that
"diabetes thing?"  My high school guidance counselor visited me in the
hospital
after being diagnosed with diabetes....guess what he brought me?  A box
of Fanny
Farmer Candy!!  The same guidance counselor was also shocked the day I
walked
into his office to pickup an application for college.  "How can you go
to college
if you have diabetes?"  I graduated from college with a B.S. in
Education.
Deans List all quarters, graduated with honors.  Geeeez I sure would
like to go
back and teach that "nin-com-poop" guidance counselor a thing or two!

> I told one amerous young man, that there was only one way you could get
> diabetes (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). :)  scared the blank outta him.

As was said in an earlier message, "the pump and diabetes are great jerk
detectors."
Would have loved to see this guys face when you made the above
statement! FUNNY!

> Overall: I'd say my family treated diabetes "too" normal. I grew up not taking
> it seriously enough and ignored it for way way way too many years.

My parents took absolutely no interest in my diabetes.  My mom would
pick up
my prescriptions when I asked her to, but that was about as far as her
interest
went.  Looking back, I don't know if this was good or bad.  It made me
immediately take
responsibility for my own well being, but after reading all the stuff on
this
pumpers page about some of the parents who are interested in their
children's health
makes me feel like their "support" would have definitely helped.  Kudos
to all the
parents who are members of this support group in order to better support
their
diabetic children.

Becky D.

--