Re: [IP] new 'set sites'

Kim,

I had this sudden sense of deja vu reading this -- I could have written this about 5 years ago!
The funny thing is that since I met my husband and we, well,  got intimate, all those troublesome awkward things went away.  I know how much I worried about them in high school, college, grad school and my first years out of school!!

I think one thing that helps is that my husband is very comfortable touching both the pump and me (after all those drs.  I thought I was the too ugly to touch!).  Spend some non sexual time playing with it -- I mean tossing it around on the bed, moving around night clothes, no clothes and covers.  Test it at a time where if you pull it it doesn't matter and figure out what is comfortable.  I suspect your husband might feel better too (someone who is a spouse might help us here?) since I imagine that the hardest part for him is trying to do the right thing.  I always thought the diabetes was mine and that while I appreciated help on occasion, I just wanted a "normal" relationship with my significant other.  Surprisingly, my diabetes is a kind of bonding thing for us -- it is a joint project and we just work to make it work better.  That helps me tons! My in-laws tell me how impressed they are by how proud Todd is of his role as my helper.  Funny isn't it?

Well, other people can probably add to this.  There is a book, The Diabetic Woman, in which the author and doctor says that in her experience Type I diabetic women, especially women who acquired diabetes early on  tend to have very successful marriages.  She says she obviously doesn't "know" why, but she wonders if it might be that we have to learn to be organized, responsible and communicate. And she also hypothesizes that the diabetes might provoke mates to make more realistic commitments and couples to have to negotiate daily lives more effectively than non-dm women.  Hmmm...

Kimberly wrote:

Rosalind Mincher wrote:
> I am going to try the top of my backside next
> if I can reach it with the tape. Thank you for the Kendall Polyskin
> suggestion. I am going to try that too! Good luck, Roz

I am having some similar problems to Lily.  I have an average build, but
it seems that when  use any location other than my abdomen, I don't have
enough "padding" and the site rubs on muscle and gets irritated within
24-48 hours.  The problem with my abdomen is that it is one huge
cellulite depository.  I am not chubby, but since I have been diabetic
for 17 years now that site has been abused and although I have solid
abdominals, I have a slight "gut" that is of that hard, scar tissue
texture.  Not overly appealing.  I'm trying to avoid my abdomen and let
it heal.  How long should this take, or will it ever be normal?  And, I
go out dancing almost every weekend, and I am quite active especially on
the weekends.  Where can I "hide" my infusion sites and still get good
absorption?  Is there any way on a relatively slender person to prevent
the set from irritationg the underlying muscle??  I have to buy my own
supplies so I would like to get longer wear from the sets.  I have
considered using my gluteal region, but I think it would bother me when
sitting or laying down.  I'm getting into a new relationship, and I'm a
little concerned that he'll be real nervous about the site during any
"intimate" moments.  He accepts the pump and my diabetes in general, but
I really don't want him to treat me like glass, so I think we're both
holding back right now.  Any suggestions from someone who has dealt with
these issues?

Kimberly
Insulin-Pumpers website   http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/