[IP] Marilyn - Disetronic, Minmed or MDI

Katie, Thanx for your advice, but what is the square wave bolus?  Could you
tell
me the pros and the cons of each one.  This would be extremely helplful.
Also,
can you give yourself insulin without looking, using buttons on the pump?
Does
your pump only use military time?   Thank you again for answering my
questions!
Do you use only Humalog?Marilyn

Marilyn,

First, I suggest you call Disetronic at 800-688-4578 and ask for an
information video and pack. Someone on the list can supply the Minimed number
to do the same.

Second, before I even post this, I'm sure someone with a Minimed will explain
exactly how the square wave bolus works. Or you can find it on the HowTo list
on the Insulin Pumpers webpage. (Your email address is the pass word.) I do
not know the mechanics of the Minimed as I have a Disetronic.

So, here's the Disetronic version:
     Some foods take longer to break down than others. Or when you eat foods
with high fat content it slows the breakdown. Or if you eat too much. Which
means, you do not want all your insulin for the meal to hit at once. With
Disetronic I use some ratio that works for me similar to 1/2 of the bolus at
the beginning of the meal and the rest spread out over a period of time. I do
this by changing the basal rate (temporarily) which the Disetronic has a
simple program for.
     For me personally, my biggest challenge is not over eating at night. Or
down right piggin' out. If I eat a high fat lunch, I just give myself a few
extra units a half hour after the meal, then check my bgs an hour after that.
And adjust if necessary.

But at night, I don't want to stay awake so . . . for example, last night I
ate a ton of sushi. Very little fat but a lot of carbs for my bod to handle.
Three hours later I went to bed. During the three hours, I took extra insulin
and tested twice. When I went to bed I was at 100. But I knew I would continue
to use all that rice so I used the Temporary Basal Rate to increase the
insulin I'd receive by 20% for the next 12 hours. I actually turned it off
when I got up in the morning about 6 hours later. I was 125. Excellent!

Now, there is a beep every 1/2 hour when you use a temporary basal rate.
Disetronic has a way to turn the beep off which I do only when I use it at
night.

As for giving myself insulin without looking, no problem. Each time you press
a button it gives a beep. If it is too noisy or you've turned off the beeper,
it is still easy to count the times I've depressed the button b/c the button
takes a fair amount of pressure to depress. That way you can't do it
accidentally either.

My pump is set on military time. I'm not sure if I can change that or not. I'd
have to check my instruction book.

As for considering the pump (Disetronic or Minimed), I can't think of a single
reason not too get a pump but a million and one why you should. You can read
in the archives testament after testament of the improvement in life style and
quality of life. Let alone limiting those terrible complications. The
inconviences are far far out weighed by the control provided by this system.
For me, the hassel of carrying insulin and taking shots alone were as great a
hassel as wearing the pump. Then you tack on the benefits and there is no
question. When insurance said they wouldn't pay, my husband and I created a
budget so that we could pay for it ourselves. Luckily, insurance came through
in the end and I was able to buy this computer. I'd give up my computer and
drive a $500 car before giving up my pump. Actually, if it were a real life
choice between my pump and my car (I live in Houston and there is no other way
around), I'd give up my car.

I only caution people to realize that it is not a cure, you must still
maintain your diet, exercise and insulin in order to have good control. The
difference is that all of the above is easier to do and the level of control
is vastly improved.

Katie