Re: [IP] Medical 'advice' through the years

email @ redacted wrote:

>      I'm reading this continued 'yowling' exchange between us (diabetics)
>      and them (doctors, CNEs, nurses, hospitals, etc)
>
>      I remember when I came back from camp at 10 or 11 years of age and
>      asked my doctor about the dextrostix I had seen there.  He told me
>      they were not really useful and that urine tests and four-six blood
>      tests a year were enough.
>
>      I remember when i lost my vision the eye doctor told me in no way
>      would I see again (one eye bled over optic nerve, other right over
>      macula).  My regular doctor let me 'try' the pump because he had
>      nothing else so what did I have to lost (other than a $2000 starting
>      fee for 'education' and the cost of pump and supplies which were
>      completely experimental according to my insurance company 18 years
>      ago).
>
>      I remember being on 90% protean diets, 90% no 'x' diets, diets where I
>      HAD TO eat something x times a day or couldn't eat two things together
>      or who remembers what else.
>
>      Bottom line is that WE are the ones in charge.  YES if the doctors
>      actually admitted NOT KNOWING it might help.  if they admitted that
>      certain things outside of their fields WERE GOOD (I love Pritikin's
>      diet and challenge anyone to come up with better diet for a diabetic)
>
>      From my own experience: once one is under control it seems (with G-ds
>      help) the long term problems will slow down, stop and even (with G-ds
>      help) reverse.
>
>      last year I fractured my heel bone into a number of interesting peices
>      (which stayed around where they belonged).  A podiatrist told me I
>      would never walk without an operation (which was a HUGE risk as this
>      IS a long term diabetic foot).  For a second opinion I was told by an
>      orthopedist to 'leave it alone' and it will heal on its own.  When
>      after three months I started to walk and x-rays showed no sign of
>      original break he admitted to me he had taken a bet based on my
>      history that I would be OK.
>
>      Oh well.  There is no gain in a kvetch but much gain in using
>      knowledge to keep ourselves alive (I am in process of inviting the
Yerachmiel,
Well then I might have a new diet for you! I just started the pump a
month ago, but the diet has reduced my insullin intake by 2/3rds while
on shots. It consists of taking supplements such as enzymes and
pancreatic enzymes, the food combination theory, and blood type. let me
know if you want to know more.

Rona

     doctor who diagnosed me to my three year olds birthday tmw, (he had