[IP] Medical 'advice' through the years

     I'm reading this continued 'yowling' exchange between us (diabetics)
     and them (doctors, CNEs, nurses, hospitals, etc)

     I remember when I came back from camp at 10 or 11 years of age and
     asked my doctor about the dextrostix I had seen there.  He told me
     they were not really useful and that urine tests and four-six blood
     tests a year were enough.

     I remember when i lost my vision the eye doctor told me in no way
     would I see again (one eye bled over optic nerve, other right over
     macula).  My regular doctor let me 'try' the pump because he had
     nothing else so what did I have to lost (other than a $2000 starting
     fee for 'education' and the cost of pump and supplies which were
     completely experimental according to my insurance company 18 years
     ago).

     I remember being on 90% protean diets, 90% no 'x' diets, diets where I
     HAD TO eat something x times a day or couldn't eat two things together
     or who remembers what else.

     Bottom line is that WE are the ones in charge.  YES if the doctors
     actually admitted NOT KNOWING it might help.  if they admitted that
     certain things outside of their fields WERE GOOD (I love Pritikin's
     diet and challenge anyone to come up with better diet for a diabetic)

     From my own experience: once one is under control it seems (with G-ds
     help) the long term problems will slow down, stop and even (with G-ds
     help) reverse.

     last year I fractured my heel bone into a number of interesting peices
     (which stayed around where they belonged).  A podiatrist told me I
     would never walk without an operation (which was a HUGE risk as this
     IS a long term diabetic foot).  For a second opinion I was told by an
     orthopedist to 'leave it alone' and it will heal on its own.  When
     after three months I started to walk and x-rays showed no sign of
     original break he admitted to me he had taken a bet based on my
     history that I would be OK.

     Oh well.  There is no gain in a kvetch but much gain in using
     knowledge to keep ourselves alive (I am in process of inviting the
     doctor who diagnosed me to my three year olds birthday tmw, (he had
     told me I never would be able to have kids)...

     Yerachmiel Altman