Cleanliness (was RE: [IP] sore site)

>      5) be EXTRA judicious in the future about cleanliness....the 3rd
incident
> happened we think because, although Melissa did wash her hands with
Hibiclens,
> she hadn't showered that morning, so the insertion may have "carried" in
some
> surface germs on her tummy

Hibiclens?  Wow, and I thought *I* was careful.  I always change my site
after a shower/bath (usually shower) when I can help it (that is, when it's
not an emergency change).  So I'm relatively clean to begin with.

Then I swab the intended target area with a Betadine swab.  Then I remove as
much of the Betadine as I can with a sterile alcohol swab (because I don't
like the discoloration, and I'm not sure if the iodine would interfere with
the Skin-Prep I'm about to put on.  The alcohol by itself is NOT much of a
disinfectant, hence the Betadine first).  Then when the alcohol dries, I put
down a layer with a Skin-Prep pad.  Then when that dries I finally put in
the set.  No infections since adopting this procedure.  (My emergency road
kit contains the Betadine, alcohol, and Skin-Prep pads, so even an emergency
change is pretty safe IMHO ;-)

My sister in the meantime skips straight ahead to the Skin-Prep, and no
problems either.  YMMV and all that, I guess (I had 2 infections, one
relatively nasty, that prompted me to start using the Betadine as part of
the procedure in the first place)

--
Greg Legowski
<about components in computers overheating>