Re: [IP] Re: Lori and exercise... again (to Kim)

> > Kimberly wrote:
> >
> > If I have a very active day, I tend to get low the
> > following morning rather than during the activity.  I'm still trying to
> > find the best way to cope with this.  It seems that on the day after
> > exercise I don't have the usual dawn phenomenon, so my increased basal
> > at this time can send me into a hypo.  I've been changing my basal rate
> > profile, but this is a huge hassle, and sometimes I forget to change it
> > back.  Any suggestions?

Lily has this problem on her twice (or thrice) weekly soccer workout.
Her solution has been a variable initial basal rate when going to
sleep. Since I always check her around 2:00-3:00 I know from
experience that she is stable from 2:00 onward and the 'unstable'
portion of her sleep interval occurs within an hour or two after she
retires.

At the present time, her afternoon/evening basal rate extends until
12:00 midnite. Another follows from 12:00 to 1:00 which is also low.

When she goes to bed (whenever that is, 10:00 - 12:00) she sets a
temp basal rate that runs until 1:00 am.  The rate is variable,
usually around 1 unit but scaled up or down depending on her day's
activity and bed time bg's. Typically she will vary the basal rate to
deliver 0.2-0.7 more or less insulin over the temp period in
addition to the basal values. This all assumes perfect 100 bg values,
the hbs bolus is independent of this.  If you know your bg/insulin
ratio and your typical hypo drop, you should be able to calculate
a similar bedtime temp basal rate to solve the problem.  I'd check
bg's about 3 hours after going to sleep to confirm compliance a few
times.

Michael