Re: [IP] EXERCISE - TAE KWON DO

J. Richardson wrote:
> Is there anyone out there who does a martial art that could offer some
> advice?
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Joanne Richardson
> (Type 1 Diabetes for 27 years on 2 shots/day)

I practice a sport quite similar to Tae-Kwon-Do and often spend all of
Saturday "fighting".  Before the pump this was difficult if not
impossible.  The pump allows me to perform with a minimum of difficulty
by simply having a light snack before a workout.  During a contact sport
it is easiest to temporarily disconnect from the pump by using a quick
release infusion set, but in a pinch you can use a shock absorbent case
for the pump.  I sometimes forget to take my pump off.  The pump has
survived, but my side has received a bruise or two. ; ) The people that
I spar with usually will remind me if they see the pump.  As far as the
infusion site, if you are using a sof-set rather than metal needle
infusion set the risk of injury is minimal.  If you sustain a direct
blow you will want to watch your blood sugar after reconnecting just to
be certain.  Also, if you are hit near the site and develop any
irritation, it is usually safest to change sites.  I have only had to
change sites once after sparring.  I fell and slid on the infusion set
and it started to pull out.  Good luck!

Kim