From: Adam Brock
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 7:47 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V13 #1674

I used Medtronic's quicksets for several years but when I switched to Tandem
went with the autosofts. I also experienced issues with bent cannulas and I
found the insertion process awkward. Several users in a Facebook group
recommended TruSteel, so I figured I would give it a shot. OMG I absolutely
love
them, and I can't believe no one told me about the advantages sooner. I no
longer have absorption issues with carb heavy meals or sugary alcoholic
drinks
and my BGs are much more stable. I do try to change every two days, but
sometimes I'm able to stretch it to three if I'm not using a lot of insulin.
I've found that the tipping point seems to be the amount of insulin pushed
through, not the number of days. For me that's around 180-200 units so I
just
fill my reservoir with about 250 units and change at 3 days or when it runs
out.
Another benefit to TruSteel is that if you need to move the site or it comes
loose, you just clean with alcohol and reinsert. You don't have to change
the
tubing or set because the steel can always be reinserted.

I have found the TruSteel sites seem to be pickier about where they will
work
compared to the quicksets. For example on my hips I have to stay very close
the centerline of my waist, if I go more than a few inches off that I get
terrible absorption. The only other downside is the TruSteel are not
available
with the 43" tubing.

As far as getting the sites to stick, I've never had an issue. I clean the
area
with IV-Prep (combination alcohol and adhesive) before applying the site. If
have to move the TruSteel site it will not stick to my body a second time so
cover it with a cut in half Tegaderm 1626W. I use a full Tegaderm 1626W for
my
Dexcom sensor.
(select your charity = Insulin Pumpers)