From: "Diane Carter" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:27:34 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: A basal question for all of you

I was thinking that perhaps injections rather than a pump? B If you don't
really need a basal? Just a thought.

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:48 AM, David Jones
<email @ redacted> wrote:

I don't understand basal rates well enough to get at your issue without a few
questions. So how low are you going and what times of day? If you have a meal
with say, 40 today carbs, how much insulin are you giving yourself? And how
much insulin are you giving yourself in 24 hours? Because I'm starting to
wonder if you take such a little amount of insulin, are you still clinically
diabetic?

David Jones
freelance journalist
https://davidjones.contently.com
973-485-4153 (phone)
862-763-8304 (mobile)

> Subject: [IP] Re: A basal question for all of you
> From: email @ redacted
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 11:39:48 -0400
> To: email @ redacted
>
> B A couple of days ago, after a very long time on hold to talk with an
Animas
rep
> with a pump question (I had wanted to talk with them about this issue
before
but
> had given up two separate times when the HOLD time went on for agesyes, a
very
> common problem). So no, obviously not a life or death issue. Several months
ago
> I began programming my basals at 00.00u for several hours out of a day, and
at
> less than .1u (eg., .025, .050, or .075) for a few more hoursso yes, I use
very
> little basal insulin in a 24 hour period. The NP I work with had concluded
that
> my frequent lows were in good part a result of my basal levels, so down
they
> went. According to the Animas rep AND the supervisor I spoke with, they had
both
> never, EVER, heard of anyone using a 00.00 basal. And that of course
related
> directly to my question for themI have air spaces that develop right at
the
> end of the tubing, just before the connection to the site. As a result of
this
> discovery quite a while ago, I have been disconnecting and checking the
tubing
> and then using a Fill to fill in the little spacesometimes only .3 or .4
but
> sometimes much more, before bolusing for food OR, to just make sure
programmed
> basal insulin for other times of the day is actually getting into me. My
boluses
> for food are sometimes quite smalleg., .3 or .4 so that space can be the
cause
> of a higher than expected bgnothing at all drastic because I keep lots of
> written records as well as downloaded pump and BG records so daily I have
> patterns I expect. Both the rep and the supervisor could not really come up
with
> any answers for me but I did feel that they understood what I was saying
(and
> that was great!). They wondered if maybe there just wasnt enough pressure
in
> the pump, with all the hours of low or 00.00 basals, for the pump mechanism
> keep the tubing filledbut to explain just WHERE that air coming in was
from?
> The supervisor wondered if just by me moving around there was enough give
in
the