Re: Re: [IP] Medicare ALJ case

I certainly agree Phyllis and thanks for the input Denise. I imagine there
are many more on the IP list that have to deal with Medicare and their
refusal to pay for test strips. I've had 3 heart attacks, the first when I
was 41 as a complication of the Type 1 diabetes. I just no longer have the
stamina to take on major challenges. My brother and nephew both died very
young from Type 1 complications and I know that testing frequently and
having an insulin pump has played a huge role in keeping me going! It just
annoys me to no end that by limiting the number of test strips the cost of
treatment will just go up because of the added complications.
Shirley, dx age 5, 1954 Type 1; Animas 1250; Animas Ping; Chandler AZ

On , Phyllis <email @ redacted> wrote:
> First we need a leader. When someone volunteers to lead; many will
> follow.>
> Phyllis

> Listening to everybody talking about Medicare and being not so far from
> being on Medicare, what all Type 1's might want to get into, if we can
> get the ADA to carry it, is a class action lawsuit. The criticism of the
> right was that national health care would lead to so-called death squads
> seems to be correct with regard to people who have Type 1
> (insulin-dependent, auto-immune) diabetes because:
> 1. All diabetics are required to take a C-peptide test, apparently in the
> hope that the need for insulin has magically disappeared and now a
> regimen of care suitable for the needs of Type 2 diabetics is all that is
> needed. (If the shoe doesn't fit, chop off the toes and ram the foot back
> in.)
> 2. If insulin is needed, Medicare rule-makers do not consider that the
> most widely used insulins today are not the same as the older, almost
> obsolete types commonly prescribed in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Apidra,
> Humalog and Novalog require careful and constant monitoring. Older
> insulins like NPH and Lente are not used very much. (Does anybody know
> anybody who is on NPH?)
> 3. Type 1 diabetics have a longer life expectancy and a longer survival
> span. I just saw an article that said at the ADA's San Diego meeting, the
> average life expectancy for a person with Type 1 diabetes is now
> 68.something years. (Yippee, I have 10 years left to live, and I'm going
> to enjoy them to the max!)
> 4. There are new complications from Type 1 diabetes that are becoming
> more obvious and appearing more frequently with this longer life-span,
> such as gastroparesis (pardon my spelling). Now we need more test strips
> than ever before. Beta blockers also interfere with the ability to sense
> lows.
> Washington bureaucrats hear the word "diabetes" and figure that people
> over the age of 65 are not going to have "brittle" diabetes. It's the
> same mentality that almost killed my Type 1 mother when the nursing home
> she was in decided that she didn't need any insulin because her blood
> sugar was in the "normal" range. Well, a BG of 1300 because of her missed
> injection(s) wasn't funny.
> We need to organize!
> Denise B.

> On 6/30/2011 7:43 PM, Phyllis wrote: > Shirley, None of what Medicare or
> it's payers are doing makes any sense to me. I will be sure to post the
> outcome of the ALJ hearing. So far that is the only item that I have had
> a problem with; test strips. I am fortunate to have an Endocrinologist
> that is willing to be heard at
the hearing and that my supplier is going to speak on my behalf. This is my
last opportunity to appeal , as I understand it, and I will let you and
others know what happens.> I'm also fortunate to have a supplier that is
not withholding the test strips he knows I need and an Endocrinologist that
cares for his patients as if they were his family. Phyllis> Ft. Myers, Fl.