Re: [IP] Medicare ALJ case

Listening to everybody talking about Medicare and being not so far from
being on Medicare, what all Type 1's might want to get into, if we can
get the ADA to carry it, is a class action lawsuit.

The criticism of the right was that national health care would lead to
so-called death squads seems to be correct with regard to people who
have Type 1 (insulin-dependent, auto-immune) diabetes because:

1.  All diabetics are required to take a C-peptide test, apparently in
the hope that the need for insulin has magically disappeared and now a
regimen of care suitable for the needs of Type 2 diabetics is all that
is needed.  (If the shoe doesn't fit, chop off the toes and ram the foot
back in.)

2.  If insulin is needed, Medicare rule-makers do not consider that the
most widely used insulins today are not the same as the older, almost
obsolete types commonly prescribed in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.
Apidra, Humalog and Novalog require careful and constant monitoring.
Older insulins like NPH and Lente are not used very much.  (Does anybody
know anybody who is on NPH?)

3.  Type 1 diabetics have a longer life expectancy and a longer survival
span.  I just saw an article that said at the ADA's San Diego meeting,
the average life expectancy for a person with Type 1 diabetes is now
68.something years.  (Yippee, I have 10 years left to live, and I'm
going to enjoy them to the max!)

4.  There are new complications from Type 1 diabetes that are becoming
more obvious and appearing more frequently with this longer life-span,
such as gastroparesis (pardon my spelling).  Now we need more test
strips than ever before.  Beta blockers also interfere with the ability
to sense lows.

Washington bureaucrats hear the word "diabetes" and figure that people
over the age of 65 are not going to have "brittle" diabetes.  It's the
same mentality that almost killed my Type 1 mother when the nursing home
she was in decided that she didn't need any insulin because her blood
sugar was in the "normal" range.  Well, a BG of 1300 because of her
missed injection(s) wasn't funny.

We need to organize!

Denise B.