Re: [IP] Medicare ALJ case

Phyllis - Medicare denies payment for my supplies (which includes the test
strips) every time my supplier submits an order. I use between 9-12 strips
per day. After my Dec. '10 order I received a letter from Noridian
(Medicare administrator for this area) that an appeal had been submitted by
the supplier. The letter clearly stated that if the claim was denied I
would be responsible for payment. Medicare did make the payment but when my
next order was submitted, Medicare then denied it. Like you, it certainly
doesn't matter what the doctor has ordered or that I submit my BG test
results as requested. I know we've had some on IP trying to get Medicare to
cover CGMS but I think the bigger problem is getting Medicare to just pay
for the strips we need. With my gastroparesis and hypoglycemia unawareness
I have a very difficult time maintaining my BG levels. Since my order
includes both pump & testing supplies I think Medicare would cover the pump
supplies even if they deny payment for the strips. Keep us informed on what
happens. I know it may be something I'll have to deal with. Shirley, dx age
5, 1954 Type 1; Animas 1250; Animas Ping, Chandler AZ