RE: [IP] Boot camp-fitness club style

This is normal, and there is an explanation for why bgs initially go up during
exercise and then plunge later. I think it's because the glucose gets pulled
out of your muscles when you are working them, making the bg in your blood go
up, but then later the muscles need time to recover to be able to store the
glucose again, which is the recovery period, when you can get low.  I always
get mixed up about this so I will have to check to see if that is right.
I went to a T1 conference a few weeks ago and an exercise physiologist who is
also T1 gave a great presentation on this subject.  I don't want to mangle
what she said, but she did recommend a book on the subject, which I'll look up
later and post.
Short version:  she recommends cutting basals starting by about 30-50% 90-120
minutes before exercise to at least 1-2 hours after exercise, adjusting as
needed.  If you eat within 3 hours of starting your exercise, she recommends
cutting the pre-exercise meal bolus substantially, same for post-exercise meal
boluses and corrections for awhile.  If you suspend the pump, she recommends
replacing 50% of lost basal after the exercise, being careful about this
depending on your bgs. She also discussed adding carbs, but said pumpers have
a lot of flexibility to deal with the issue via delivery adjustments.
The amount of the adjustments she suggested varied with the intensity of the
exercise, and weight training is regarded as high intensity.  I also think she
said post-exercise recovery will affect your metabolism the following day and
sometimes even the day after that, and that this will decrease over time as
your body adjusts to the exercise.
FWIW my son always had to lower basals by 25-30% for 8-12 hours following
strenuous exercise.

Mary