[IP] Re: Beaching in New Jersey

RE:

Gee,  everyone! I've gotten only two responses to my question about wearing
my
MiniMed pump at the beach - or not - and taking long acting-insulin  by
injection for two days. One of you said you'd never put long-acting  insulin
in
your body (I did so for 34 years, and always had an A1C between  5.8 and 6.5!)
Also, I happen to LIVE in NJ (
Hi,

I live in Hawaii and spend a great deal of time in the water.  I have  a
 Minimed 522 with the CGMS. I never take my pump off when I go into the water,
in
fact I can swim and surf etc. much more safely and with less worry  with my
 CGMS than without. Before the CGMS I was constantly having problems with lows
or highs while in the water.  When I got my first  minimed, about 7 years
ago, it was sold to me as waterproof.  They had  problems with people over
 tightening the battery cap and causing cracks where water was entering. I never
 over tighten the cap, it has a rubber o ring and doesn't need to be tight, and
I check the case periodically for micro  cracks.  If all else fails I am still
under warranty and Minimed has always  been great at replacing broken pumps
during the warranty.  I could never  leave this great piece of equipment home
when I need it the most, which is while  exercising in the water.
Thanks,
Linda