[IP] Questions on Managing BG and Surgery

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted to the list in a while, but I do continue to be an active
lurker ;-)  I'm hoping someone can help with a question.

I have to go in for surgery soon.  I have to have a cervical disc (possibly
2) removed and they're going to fuse the vertebrae.  I really, really do not
want anyone else to attempt to manage my BG control (much less let anyone
TOUCH my pump- control freak, who me?) and surgeon has agreed that I am to
be the one in charge of my diabetes management- so far so good.  So, what do
I do now?

I'm sure that I'll be able to manage everything (with my husband's help)
once I'm out of surgery, I just don't know what to do about the time I'm in
the OR and recovery.  (Now that I think about it, I'll be under the
influence of some heavy duty pain medications for a few days.  How do I
handle that?)  I've been told that I cannot wear my pump in the OR
(something about an instrument used to cauterize blood vessels and
electrical current).  Should I leave my pump with my husband?

I'm sure others on the list have faced similar circumstances- how do I do
this?  I just don't want some over-zealous nurse checking my BG and giving
me insulin without my active participation.  I am super sensitive to
insulin- a very small overdose and I pass out, seizures, the whole bit.  As
long as *I* manage my BG, there are (usually) no problems.

I'd love to hear what others have done in similar circumstances!!!

Thanks loads in advance!

Carol

image001.gif]