Re: [IP] Pump Reservor

--- On Fri, 6/20/08, Bill Downey <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I am new to pumping.  I have a MiniMed 522. It is time to
> change the infusion
> set and I still have
> insulin in the reservor.  Does anyone change the infusion
> set without
> changing
> the reservor.   Clearly it is necessary to go thru the
> priming process with
> the new infusion set, but is is necessary to change the
> reservor if there is
> sufficent insulin in the reservor to last 3 to 4 days?
> .

 I do it all the time. What sets are you using? I think the Quick-Sets get
inserted with the tubing attached but you don't have to prime it. Just insert
the new Quick-Set, remove the tubing, connect your old tubing/reservoir (which
is already primed, since you had been using it) and do your fixed prime to fill
the cannula only.

 If it's Silhouettes, those get inserted without the tubing so you can just toss
it (or save it, just in case), reconnect the tubing and do the fixed prime.

 If you're using the Sure-Ts you will have to prime it because it has that extra
"tail" of tubing. You can connect your current tubing to the Sure-T and either
do a large fixed prime to fill up the tail, or rewind the pump and do the whole
manual prime again. That's probably quicker because doing a fixed prime of
several units can take awhile!

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987