Re: [IP] Minimed frustrations

-- On Thu, 6/19/08, Cynthia VanDenBerge <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Hi Liz, I am glad you are set up for the training.  It is
> my expereince that
> the process of setting up to start CGMS really needs a
> training session.  It
> is not all that difficult to do it, but getting all of the
> steps down as far
> as how to insert the sensor properly, seal it with the
> adhesive covering and
> waiting for the calibration to kick in takes a run through
> with someone
> experienced.  Once you do the first one by yourself you
> will "have it".

 I know that you have to wait 2 hours after you insert a sensor to do the
calibration. My appointment is at 1:30 in the afternoon. My CDE mentioned that
she has a meeting at 3:00, so I have a feeling it's going to be rushed. I'm
mostly concerned with the sensor insertion and really want help with that. I
think I can figure the rest out on my own if I can remember the timing of
everything.

> My
> best advice is to have patience with the system.  I think
> you will be crazy
> for the first few months, then all of a sudden things will
> 'click' and you
> will love the system.  I was at a point (and I posted it
> here) where I was
> ready to throw the whole thing away.

 That's how I felt when I got my pump 3 years ago! I actually told my CDE that I
was getting ready to throw it against the wall. After about 3 months things
began to settle down and I finally realized it was worth it.

>  I can't
> tell you what the
> difference is, but most of the time my meter BG matches my
> sensor really
> close and I am much more confident of the readings I am
> getting from my
> sensor so there is not the testing all of the time like I
> was doing.

 Right now I'm really looking forward to seeing trends. I know that I can't
expect the sensor numbers and meter numbers to match but it will be great to
know if my BG is rising or falling. I would like to be able to give my fingers a
break from all of the meter tests but I know in the beginning I'll probably be
testing even more.

  About
> the only thing that I am trying to figure out is how to
> reduce the skin
> irritation I seem to be getting from the
> sensor/transmitter.  It is quite a
> bit more than my infusion set and I have had to take a week
> off to let
> things heal up.  Good luck!   Cynthia

 The infusion set tape usually doesn't bother me. I do often get itchy in the
summer when it's hot & humid outside. I'm also much more sensitive on my upper
abdomen, especially toward the sides, and I really like that area for sets. I've
never tried putting down tegaderm or IV3000 first so maybe I should experiment
with that this summer.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987