[IP] transmitter going bad??

I have a question about the transmitter...how do you know when it is bad  and
needs to be replaced? I have put in 2 sensors (one was expired and one  was
 brand new) at startup and each time I was told that it lost the sensor after a
few minutes. I would then restart it and get the Lost sensor again and I  am
not sure if it is bad sensors or transmitter.  Approximately how long  does
the transmitter last for all of you users out there? I just found out that  my
insurance pays for the sensors and I just started a brand new package of
 sensors so I hate to wait again for a new transmitter. I also did charge up the
transmitter too.
Donna K in CT.