RE: [IP] training

At 11:00 PM 6/11/2008, George Grant wrote:
>I knew how to count carbs, tested 6-10 times per day,
>had A1C below 7, knew I:C ratio (on shots), read the Walsh book, did the
>saline.... but I don't know how long I would've lasted on the pump without
>additional hands on training & support from pump trainer, CDE, and Endo when I
>started pump.  It took about 6 weeks to get my basals adjusted (with their
>help), and they were more than 50% off from what was recommended by Walsh's
>TDD formulas.

And, my experience was very different.  My beginning basals, set by
the CDE, were very off.  In fact, she couldn't figure out how to get
them right and my bgs were bouncing all over the place.  I finally
picked up the Walsh book, read the info about doing fasting to set
basals (which the CDE did not believe in) and finally got them right
myself.  Now, I take care of all my pump settings myself.  I haven't
talked to the CDE since I started my first pump more than 8 years
ago.  My endo gives me full control of my pump. YMMV.

RoseLea