Re: [IP] Re: CGMS training

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, email @ redacted <email @ redacted> wrote:

>  You cannot calibrate within 2 hours after insertion (and
> turning the sensor
> option on). There are a lot of folks who like to get the
> sensors "wet" for a lot
> longer than 2 hours, so what they do is insert the night
> before - leaving the
> old sensor in, maybe - and then do the calibration in the
> a.m. I haven't found
> that necessary. Maybe scar tissue is the issue, but I have
> had no problems
> calibrating 2 hours after insertion.

 How do you work that around eating? They say not to calibrate after a meal
because your numbers could be changing rapidly. If I insert a sensor at 7:00am,
it's going to want a reading at 9:00am or so, right? Do you delay breakfast for
two hours so you can calibrate it, then eat right after? I'm not really a
morning person and I tend to get out of bed 75 minutes before I need to be out
the door to catch my bus. Two hours would mean skipping breakfast and
calibrating while on the bus. But, if I skip breakfast my BG rises like crazy.
Putting a new one in the night before, while the old one is still in & active,
seems to make sense unless you still have to wait two hours after you activate
it before you can do the first calibration.

>  When I re-ordered the sensors, I asked them for a box, and
> the next day, I had
> a voice mail that said they had checked with my ins. co.
> and that they had sent
> me a 3-month supply. Since they think each sensor will last
> 3 days, they sent 3
> boxes (3 boxes * 10 sensors/box = 90 days of use). Well, I
> don't think anyone
> uses a sensor only 3 days. I change mine every Sunday. So,
> I have a box in the
> refrigerator that will expire by the time I even think
> about using it. I haven't
> figured out what I'm gonna do yet.

 I read that they no longer need to be refrigerated but since I still haven't
been trained and it's been so hot, I did put the box in the fridge. I've called
Minimed and asked them to change my orders before, so you could probably have
them skip a shipment if you start to stockpile sensors. I really have to call
and tell them not to send me any reservoirs for the next two years.

>  It's real simple to get past the 3 days. When it dies
> on the 3rd day, just tell
> it you have a new sensor, and it will prompt you to
> calibrate within 5-10
> minutes, and away you go. Alternatively, turn the sensor
> off a few hours before
> it expires. Leave it off for about 5 minutes, and then turn
> it back on (using
> the Sensor Settings), and then tell it you have a new
> sensor, and again, it will
> prompt you to "Enter Meter BG" right away, and
> again, you're good to go.

 Okay, so why doesn't it make you wait two hours to calibrate if you trick it
into thinking a new sensor has been inserted? Or is the two hour wait just a
rule you have to remember when you put a new one in? I thought the pump set the
timer when you start a new sensor.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987