[IP] Re: CGMS training

From: Elizabeth Blake <email @ redacted>

 It does seem a little
> confusing at first because I know you have to wait a certain time after
> inserting it to calibrate it and then you have to do it again with X hours.

 You cannot calibrate within 2 hours after insertion (and turning the sensor
option on). There are a lot of folks who like to get the sensors "wet" for a lot
longer than 2 hours, so what they do is insert the night before - leaving the
old sensor in, maybe - and then do the calibration in the a.m. I haven't found
that necessary. Maybe scar tissue is the issue, but I have had no problems
calibrating 2 hours after insertion.

> don't really know how my insurance will cover the sensors. I'm told they do
 > cover the ongoing supplies. I got 1 box of 10 sensors with my shipment, but I
 > got the usual 3 months of sets/reservoirs. I'm not sure if I'll get the
sensors
> 1 month at a time or if future shipments will be for 3 months. Even with
 > insurance coverage I'd feel better about using them longer if it's still
working
> past the 3 days.

 When I re-ordered the sensors, I asked them for a box, and the next day, I had
a voice mail that said they had checked with my ins. co. and that they had sent
me a 3-month supply. Since they think each sensor will last 3 days, they sent 3
boxes (3 boxes * 10 sensors/box = 90 days of use). Well, I don't think anyone
uses a sensor only 3 days. I change mine every Sunday. So, I have a box in the
refrigerator that will expire by the time I even think about using it. I haven't
figured out what I'm gonna do yet.

>Even with
 >insurance coverage I'd feel better about using them longer if it's still
working
>past the 3 days.

 It's real simple to get past the 3 days. When it dies on the 3rd day, just tell
it you have a new sensor, and it will prompt you to calibrate within 5-10
minutes, and away you go. Alternatively, turn the sensor off a few hours before
it expires. Leave it off for about 5 minutes, and then turn it back on (using
the Sensor Settings), and then tell it you have a new sensor, and again, it will
prompt you to "Enter Meter BG" right away, and again, you're good to go.

Good luck,

Tom

--
dx 1985 at age 32