Re: [IP] Just Expired Humulin N - Is it still good?

--- On Wed, 6/11/08, Jeff <email @ redacted> wrote:

>  Upon inspecting the vial I noticed it had an expiration of
> 02/08 on the box and
> on the prescription sticker it says to discard after
> 08/30/08. So my question is
> if the insulin is still good? Can I use it or do I need to
> buy a new vial?
> Anyone have experience with this situation?

 I don't know about NPH, but I've been using expired Humalog for the past 7
months. Back in November I discovered a shipment (9 vials) of Humalog in the
back of my fridge. They had just expired. Even though I had vials with a good
date I began using the older ones and have not had any problems. I'm using one
right now. I don't know if NPH breaks down more easily or not, but I suspect if
they were kept cool the entire time it should still be good.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987