[IP] RE: iIV Prep

I don't use anything other than soap and water either, usually right after a
shower, as the rest dry our my skin too much and cause too much irritation. My
Endo, GP and CDE said the other is really not necessary unless you are having
issues.  I do not have a prob with the sets staying on (use quicksets), and
the sites usually heal in just a few days.

While TMMV, it does seem to me there are larger battles to pick with a teen
than this one.
Denise

http://indigopegasus.spaces.live.com/

http://people.tribe.net/indigopegasus

http://www.myspace.com/flying_horse_ranch

visit my eBay store at:

www.indigopegasusbazaar.com
Jun 2008 13:51:21 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)> From: "Rose Marie Elliott"
<email @ redacted>> Subject: RE: [IP] IV Prep> > I was never told
that they were for sterilization or to help prevent> infection. I was told
they were used to help hold down the infusion set> once it was in place. I
stopped using them several years ago with no> problems and I've been wearing a
pump for 10 years.> > - -------Original Message-------> > From:
Brostrup-Jensen, C. Christian> Date: 06/10/2008 1:47:35 PM> To:
email @ redacted> Subject: RE: [IP] IV Prep> > Hi Jamie,> > Has your son
expressed a reason for avoiding IV Prep? Maybe there is an> alternative
approach to sterilizing the site that wouldn't bother him?> > Chris
Brostrup-Jensen> Father to Brian, age 11, dx'd 6/03, pumping OmniPod since
7/06> > > Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 12:55:27 -0500> > From: "Jamie Anderson"
<email @ redacted>> > Subject: [IP] IV Prep> >> > I just found out my 15
yr old son has not been using IV Prep> > when doing a site change. I can't
seem to get him to> > understand the importance of trying to avoid infection.
Does> > anyone by chance have any photos of what an infection from a> > site
could look like so I could maybe "scare" him into using> > the preps??> >> >
Jamie, mom to Zachary(15) dx at age 12, Cleo (12) dx at age> > 8, Jamison(9)
and Addalyn(3).> > > > Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:17:34 -0700 (PDT)> From: "S.
Falconer" <email @ redacted>> Subject: [IP] bard> > Jamie wrote> &gt; I just
found out my 15 yr old son has not been using IV Prep > &gt; when doing a site
change. I can't seem to get him to > &gt; understand the importance of trying
to avoid infection. > > I've been pumping for over 15 years and haven't used
bard OR> alcohol on my skin since 2001...and I have never had an> infection. I
suppose if he regularly wallows in toilet water> (or rubs tomatoes on his
skin) I might be worried, but otherwise,> leave him alone. He won't die from
not wiping first - besides, > Bard and alcohol and everything ELSE do not
"sterilize." Soap and > water in the shower is usually plenty.> > &gt; have
any photos of what an infection from a > &gt; site could look like so I could
maybe "scare" him into using > &gt; the preps??> > When I was diagnosed in
1974, they tried to SCARE me into compliance> with pictures and stories of the
complications and how horrible > life could be. I refused to sit through that
crap then as a preteen> and think it is a BAD tactic to use now. Give him the
tools, > lead by example, and then let him make his own choice. He is 15, >
not 3, and in MY personal opinion, and not as a parent, I think > there are
bigger battles to pick than this one> > YMMV> Sara SP> .> >> > Date: Mon, 9
Jun 2008 15:26:57 EDT> > From: email @ redacted> > Subject: Re: [IP] IV
Prep> >> > using IV Prep has bactira killing stuff in it, In fact its better
than a> > alcohol pad. Plus w/the IV Prep pads it helps the tape to stick
better, > > where> > Alcohol pad don't,> >> > Ben, TY1 25 yrs using insulin
pump for 10 yrs> >> >> > Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:29:58 -0400> > From: "Kathy
Barbis" <email @ redacted>> > Subject: Re: [IP] IV Prep> >> > i agree
that the infusion set sticks better with the IV prep... the few > > site> >
changes i had to do in an "emergency" without IV prep peeled up after a > >
day> > or so... i had to tape the set down.> >> > On 6/9/08,
email @ redacted <email @ redacted> wrote:> >>> >> using IV Prep has
------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:44:01 -0700> From:
email @ redacted> Subject: Re: [IP] IV Prep> > > I just found out
my 15 yr old son has not been using IV Prep when> > doing a site> > change. I
can't seem to get him to understand the importance of trying> > to avoid
infection. Does anyone by chance have any photos of what an> > infection from
a site could look like so I could maybe "scare" him> > into using the preps??>
> > > Jamie, mom to Zachary(15) dx at age 12, Cleo (12) dx at age 8,> >
Jamison(9) and> > Addalyn(3).> > > > > Repeated site infections are usually do
to the pump user (or helper) > being a staph carrier. If he is not getting
infections, ordinary > bathing, etc.... is usually more than adequate. It is
hard enough for > teens to deal with diabetes and pumping, don't push more
difficult > requirements with little if any benefit. There are bigger fish to
fry > with kids this age.> > Michael (dad to 5 college age kids).> > Michael>
.> > Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:55:14 -0600> From: Allison <email @ redacted>>
Subject: [Fwd: Lazy Teens WAS Re: [IP] IV Prep]> > Trying again as didn't go
through the first time.> > - -----> I can't help you with the IV prep or
laziness, but at least I can > commiserate with the lazy teen!> > My son is
16, doing nothing all summer as well, and as soon as I walk in > the door in
the evening two things come out of his mouth, "I'm bored" > and "I'm hungry.">
> My son doesn't change his own sites yet - needle phobia. His endo says >
he's at an age (teenagers) where he sees the most rebellion against the >
disease, so to just let him do what he can and help him with the rest. I >
don't disagree. The way I see it, he is going to have to change his site >
himself the rest of his life! He does the rest of his D management > himself,
so I can't complain.> > I am trying to encourage him to volunteer or
something. He can't get a > job as he is home 6 weeks, then goes to
grandparents for 4 weeks, then > starts back to school. He does go out with
friends sometimes, but not > always.> > I think about the things that I did at
his age and am glad he just stays > home and is bored!! LOL!> > - -- >
Allison> Mom to Tarek, 16 y.o., dx Type 1 11/98, Animas 2020, Novolog,
FreeStyle Lite> > > > Jamie Anderson wrote:> > I very much agree that alcohol
would be acceptable---but my point is this, he> > won't use anything!! He is a
teenager and seems to be getting lazy--sits> around> > in the summer--I am at
work so I am not there to make him get out to get> > activity---lazy to the
point that I think that is why he doesn't use the IV> > Prep--too much effort
for him!! I am frazzled!!> > Jamie, mom to Zachary(15) dx at age 12, Cleo (12)
dx at age 8, Jamison(9) and> > Addalyn(3).> > >