Re: [IP] COMPULSORY VACCINATION IS COMING TO NEW YORK STATE

>I wont say more about this except that a vaccine is FOR and ONLY FOR
>the benefit of the person who takes the vaccine.

NO.  There is something called a "herd effect"  that kicks in when a
large percentage of a population is immunized.  Essentially, the
unvaccinated you benefits from the fact that most of the population
is immunized because you are much less likely to be exposed and
exposure chains are broken quickly, thus forestalling an epidemic.
Being of the generation that was at high risk for polio and took it
for granted we'd get mumps, measles, german measles and chickenpox (I
had all four and was quarantined for some) I am well aware of the
benefits of herd effect.  It is for this reason that public health
has leaned so heavily on innoculations, NOT because the drug
companies are making money.  (Why do you think so many drug companies
are trying to get OUT of the vaccine market?)
  That said, there are individuals who do not benefit from vaccines
and probably should not take them.  If the immune system doesn't
work, a vaccination will not confer immunity.  I ran into this when
breeding dogs during the early parvo epidemic.  Puppies had to be
protected, but the shots were no good until the mother's antibodies
had worn off, and when this happened could be predicted from the
antibody titer of the mother.  I used to titer my bitches when the
pups were a few days old to time the first shot.  One of the bitches,
no matter how recently she'd been vaccinated, never had a protective
titer.  She never got parvo, but her pups were started on the vaccine
as soon as their own immune systems were mature enough to respond.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska