RE: [IP] COMPULSORY VACCINATION IS COMING TO NEW YORK STATE

Oh well. If the topic is relevant, we should at least avoid some
misconceptions.

Vaccines are not 100% effective -- they come close, but there are
no absolutes. The reason why vaccination rates are important is
herd immunity: Even if little Johnny gets sick, his infection will
not be able to jump to the vaccinated people around him, thus
preventing spread. The guesstimates for this herd immunity range
from an 80% vaccination rate upwards.

And yes, schools now have _outbreaks_ of measles and mumps again.
Me, I am just waiting for polio to come back -- whole hospital
floors full of iron lungs are a rather convincing argument for
vaccination.

Autism: The uptick in autism diagnoses that the anti-vaxers always
point to happened, oddly enough, at the same time as the DSM-IV's
new definition of autism went into effect. The DSM-IV is the
"Diagnostic and Statistical Manual" (4th major edition), and it
essentially contains checklists: If the patient has two symptoms
from this list and at least one from that other list, then he has
disease So-and-so. Make the checklists bigger, make the individual
criteria softer, and sure enough, diagnosis rates go up.

I could go on ... but instead, I'll just point out that Dr. Andrew
Wakefield, one of the better-known proponents of the
anti-vaccination movement, is not only incapable of running (or
having run) a PCR; he also was directly paid, by tort lawyers, to
produce results favourable to liability lawsuits. So let us hear
no more unfounded allegations that vaccinations are only good for
the pharma industry -- the industry stands to make *much* more on
the drugs, saline, IV sets and so on that were used in the bad old
days to keep the worst-afflicted children alive.

Oh, and somebody please remind me what the anti-vaccinationist
movement has to do with diabetes, except that with a whacked-out
immune system, I'd like to avoid as many illnesses as I can.

Cheers,
Felix.