[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]   Help@Insulin-Pumpers.org
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]   for subscribe/unsubscribe assistance

Re: [IP] college accommodations

Since I am over 17, and considered an "adult", I take whatever liberties 
afforded me by the Americans With Disabilities Act that I want.  This 
includes testing my blood sugar in class without first asking, just like 
I would do at a restaurant or other public place.  Of course, it also 
depends on the school, whether public or private.  Many colleges and 
universities have an office for students with disabilities that can 
assist you with getting the accommodations your daughter requires, and 
give you some guidance about dealing with informing the teachers about 
her needs.  Early registration is also sometimes afforded students 
registered through the office of disabilities.

Furthermore, if and when she is to take standardized tests like the MCAT 
or LSAT, the boards that administer these tests have particular methods 
for dealing with special accommodations that must need to be made during 
these tests.  You must make a special request for these when you 
schedule the test, which may also require a special testing date and time.

Antonio in LA,Age 40, Type 1 since 1993
MiniMed Paradigm 515, OneTouch Ultra, MiniMed Carelink and PAL software

email @ redacted wrote:
> I know several of you are parents of recent or current college 
> students. Jenny starts in August and we haven't yet decided whether or 
> not to ask for accommodations. Jenny had a Section 504 in high school 
> but, except for forcing the district to do glucagon training, we 
> didn't use the 504. What sort of accommodations would you ask for? 
> Permission to check glucose and eat during class? Early registration? 
> Any advice would be appreciated.
> Kay, mom to Jenny, 17
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,
contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org