[IP] an "elephant's ear?"

> Sounds like your pastry chef is trying to redefine elephant ears.
> Calorie King lists them as fair food, and the ones I had (before D, so
> it's
> been 35 years plus) were not flaky.

Bah, diabetes didn't stop me from eating that stuff, you just need to
bolus appropriately :-)  Took some trial-and-error, admittedly, but hey,
I'm game.  (Although much more recently, the onset of celiac disease has
killed a lot of these treats for me :-(  )

With the world traveling for amusement parks (my track record is 452
different roller coasters now, with an outside chance of hitting 500
before the year lets out with my Germany-during-Oktoberfest trip) comes
very wide exposure to really-unhealthy-but-ooooooh-so-tasty foods.

At many parks (Cedar Point, Kennywood, and Knoebel's to throw out a few
examples), an "elephant ear" is indeed a stretched, fried dough coated in
cinnamon sugar or a glaze of some sort.  Some parks optionally also offer
fruit toppings.

As mentioned earlier, that contrasts with a funnel cake (which I've seen
all over the place), which is a sweet batter poured through a funnel into
the hot oil.  Typically this is then dusted with powdered sugar, or fruit
and whipped cream.  Not the same thing as fried dough, taste- or
texture-wise.  (Some parks serve pre-made funnel cakes!  Avoid those,
they're nasty, you want a fresh one...)

The batter for funnel cakes has also found other uses, such as fried Oreos
(Oreo cookies dipped in funnel cake batter, then fried) and fried Snickers
bars (same concept, candy bar instead of cookie)

But my favorite treat, not sweet at all, was cheese-on-a-stick.  Take a
block of cheese (typically nasty fake yellow stuff, but at some parks it's
even good cheese in there), put it on a stick, drench it in a cornmeal
batter (the same batter as a corndog in fact), and fry THAT up.  When I
could eat those (the "cornmeal" batter is mostly wheat, not corn) I would
console myself that the cheese wasn't any less healthy than the hotdog
would have been, and arguably better -- less preservatives ;-)

I sometimes miss such stuff with Celiac disease, but I happily console
myself with other, safe junk, like nachos, french fries, and chocolate
shakes.  (And no, I DON'T eat that way all the time.  I also look for
healthy options -- most parks offer salads, fresh fruit cups, and the like
if you look for them)

--
-Greg