Re: [IP] Too much phosphorous?

Phosphorous is an essential nutrient--the hard structure of our bones
is calcium phosphate.  I think it is the ratio to calcium that must
be considered.  As I recall, lean meat is high is phosphorous
relative to calcium, but that information came from a book on canine
nutrition--pointing out that "all meat" diets for dogs did not give
enough calcium. My diet software says a 3 oz rib eye has 156 mg
phosphorous but only 11 of calcium.  Like all essential nutrients,
phosphorous can be overdosed, but the presence of phosphorous
certainly does not make a food "bad."  In fact my diet software says
that the minimum daily dose is 1000 mg--1 gram.  Overdosing on
phosphorous is unlikely for someone on a balanced diet, but it should
probably be taken into account on an extreme low-carb. high-protein
diet.
Incidentally, since people sometimes get upset about the phosphoric
acid in carbonated beverages, I looked up the USDA website, figuring
all carbonated beverages would be about the same on phosphorous.  37
milligrams, about 4% of the minimum daily requirement.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska