Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 04:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: "maverickmom \(Kerri\)" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] elephant ears

 That's right, my friend! All the ones I've ever been to have been open to the
 public. They are really neat. I like the big powwow the Puyallup tribe in WA
has
every year because they do a salmon bake and everyone gets some. Mmmmm! Some
 powwows are advertised (signs hung around town etc). If you go to the
bookstore,
in the Native American section, there is a little book that lists powwows by
month and area, and the host tribe. You can find powwows on the internet too.
 I happen to have quite a bit of Cherokee and a couple other tribes in my
bloodlines but no one would necessarily know that to look at me because I look
white/caucasian. No one has ever said anything to me (about not belonging
 there). ;) There are certain rules you should follow, like don't take a picture
 of someone in regalia (*not* costume) without their permission, don't record
the
drumming without permission, don't touch a dancer's regalia, don't walk across
 the arbor (dance area) after it's blessed etc. Mostly the rules are just common
sense courtesy/respect stuff.
I'm gonna have to find out where/when the powwows are around here in OR! :)

 Take care, Kerri - proud mom of 8 in western OR :)