From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Betsy
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:57 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] AEDs

 I am an instructor for the American Red Cross and was co-training our
instructors for the new materials being used for First Aid, CPR, and AEDs.
(Automatic External Defibrillators).  One of the instructors, who does
Professional Rescuer trainings, reminded us to remove the patient's jewelry
(earrings, necklaces, etc) before using the AED so as not to burn the victim
(the charge would go through them and to the metal instead of all of it
going where it was supposed to go).

I thought about our pumps and wondered if anyone knew what should be done.
Especially for those with the metal needs left inside.  We could disconnect
for those without the metal needles, but how would a non-pumper know the
difference?  I am not sure I would.

Any EMTs or medical people know what should be done?

Betsy Krussel, VA
dx 1957, pump 2000