From: email @ redacted
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 6:02 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] MEDCO vent/ insulin shipped in hot trucks

Just venting here about today's MEDCO experience.

Today we received two separate shipments from Medco

One insulated envelope with 2 defrosted/warm "cold packs" with 12  bottles
of warm insulin (arrived warm in south Florida at 4:45 p.m.).

One thermal styrofoam insulated container with 4 cold packs still half
frozen containing 2 glucagon kits and 1 box of pen needles. (arrived cold at
4:45
pm.)

I'd love to know why they refrigerated the glucagon kits and pen needles
sufficiently and not insulin.

When I expressed my concern about the insulin sitting in HOT not air
conditioned brown UPS trucks in sunny south Florida in the summer, the
pharmacist at MEDCO told me that Eli Lilly says insulin is stable at (I
don't  recall the exact numbers) approximately 110+ degrees for 12 hours or
120+  degrees for 8 hours.  Has anyone ever heard this?  I asked the
pharmacist if she would  inject her child with insulin that sat in 120
degrees for 8 hours and she said "I'm just telling you what Eli Lilly says
regarding  shipping stability of insulin."  She was nice.

This has happened many times.  Thankfully customer service was nice  and
they are replacing the warm insulin to arrive overnight in the morning in
proper container for south Florida.

Very sincerely yours,

Ellen H. Ullman

Mom, Advocate for children who  have diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster..  _http://www.kidsrpumping.com/_ (http://www.kidsrpumping.com/)

Please support funding a cure for diabetes:
Diabetes Research Institute  in Miami, Florida:
_http://www.diabetesresearch.org_ (http://www.drinet.org/) Children With
Diabetes Foundation: _http://www.cwdfoundation.org_
(http://www.cwdfoundation.org/)

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before  starting
to improve the world." Anne Frank .