[IP] Re: Cleos and Tubing

The paper package in which my Cleo 90 Infusion Set is packaged says
"Manufactured in USA or Mexico (see lot code for country of origin
[3rd character from right]:A=USA, X=Mexico", and in my case the
lot#=M425A03, so mine was manufactured in USA.

I suspect that Cleo tubing is **not** made by Unomedical. For their
tubing, Unomedical claims: "The tubing
The inner layer of the tubing is made of insulin compatible
polyethylene (PE). The protective outer layer is made of kink-free
polyurethane (PUR). This combination guarantees a steady,
unobstructed flow of insulin and strengthens the tubing."
Unomedical has been perfecting the tubing that goes with its insulin
infusion sets for many years, and I am under the impression that
Unomedical makes a majority of the tubing used with insulin infusion
sets. It looks to me like Smiths Medical has encountered a tubing
problem that has been solved previously by Unomedical. The Cleo is
Smithhs Medical's first insulin infusion set, although they claim to
have many years of experience with non-insulin infusion devices.

Perhaps someone knows more detail about the manufacturing of insulin
infusion sets.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000, Cozmo 2005

 >>>Re: Cleos, I started with Cleos and have found their tubing to be
a bit weaker, & kink, & block easier than other infusion systems I've
tried.<snip>
SJC<<<